With regards to the Word objects, which are essentially ScatterViewItems displayed on the native screen, I finally decided to display each word (e.g. “Baroque”, “Renaissance”) using a String datatype, rather than a SurfaceButton or Label data structure. This design choice was made primarily because String datatype was the simplest to implement and sufficient for our purposes. Although conveniently equipped with contact event handlers, the priorly used SurfaceButton data structure had a toggle-like appearance on contact and consequently could not be moved across the ScatterView. Labels were also more complex than Strings than required for the purposes of our Word object.
From there, I implemented the Contact Down event handler for the Word object, which gives the appearance of generating a selection of artworks about which to learn more. Rather, the event handler replaces the String in the ScatterView Item with a Grid object. The grid is populated with the word originally presented in the form of a String and, additionally, with the thumbnails of related artwork surrounding the word. For the purposes of the prototype demonstration to take place tomorrow in class, I used canned images for each of the thumbnails.
Towards enhancing the look and feel of our application, I also found a great background — a beautiful blue and black gradient that is darker along the edges. I am happy to report that, at this point, we have achieved high fidelity in the of the look and feel of our native screen!